Questions on Portrait photography with NEX-6 + SEL50f18

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
justincarlson
Forum MemberPosts: 75Gear list
Like?
Re: Questions on Portrait photography with NEX-6 + SEL50f18
In reply to ksc6000, 4 months ago

Wouldn't it be better to shoot in A priority?

ksc6000 wrote:

justincarlson wrote:

I just purchased the E mount 50mm lens for my NEX-6 since I'd like the ability to take decent portraits. With that being said, I was asked if I could be the photographer for an organization Christmas party in a few weeks. My main concern is that I don't have an external flash, just the built in one. Is a flash critical to have for this type of shooting? It's going to be at a hotel banquet center and I imagine the lighting probably won't be optimal. Would it be better to use no flash at all since the lens is pretty fast (f1.8)?

When shooting portraits what level do you want the camera to be in relation to the subjects' eyes? Mum assuming eye level? Also, I've had good results with using "Portrait" mode on the NEX and I've found the skin smoothing effect works quite well, so I'd assume I should keep that turned on? And lastly, could anyone recommend a reliable process for doing basic improvements on portrait photos in Adobe Lightroom? Are there any good presets I could get for free for this?

There will be times you need to shoot with the flash but you probably wanna avoid it because it will make the photos look like cell phone photos. In my experience in bad lighting that you're going to experience the 1.8 max aperture will work well. But you'll probably need to do some exposure increases and noise decrease in Lightroom (so I would keep in mind that your photos might look slightly dark on the camera..But not too dark). Shoot in manual mode, keep the aperture at 1.8, shoot in raw and try not to go above 1600 iso, take a tripod and tell your subjects to hold still

justincarlson's gear list:justincarlson's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS HDRsoft Photomatix Pro Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow