Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
justincarlson
Forum MemberPosts: 88Gear list
Like?
Questions on Portrait photography with NEX-6 + SEL50f18
8 months ago

I just purchased the E mount 50mm lens for my NEX-6 since I'd like the ability to take decent portraits. With that being said, I was asked if I could be the photographer for an organization Christmas party in a few weeks. My main concern is that I don't have an external flash, just the built in one. Is a flash critical to have for this type of shooting? It's going to be at a hotel banquet center and I imagine the lighting probably won't be optimal. Would it be better to use no flash at all since the lens is pretty fast (f1.8)?

When shooting portraits what level do you want the camera to be in relation to the subjects' eyes? Mum assuming eye level? Also, I've had good results with using "Portrait" mode on the NEX and I've found the skin smoothing effect works quite well, so I'd assume I should keep that turned on? And lastly, could anyone recommend a reliable process for doing basic improvements on portrait photos in Adobe Lightroom? Are there any good presets I could get for free for this?

justincarlson's gear list:justincarlson's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS HDRsoft Photomatix Pro +1 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow