Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
gary396
Junior MemberPosts: 42Gear list
Like?
MacBook Air or MacBook Pro Retina
9 months ago

A few months ago forum members were very helpful in advising on a spec for an iMac when I was replacing my Windows desktop. Its main use is for photo editing (occasional editing of family video stuff but nothing intense). Using Lightroom 5 and Photoshop CC plus plugins like onOne. No gaming. Fair bit of internet use, home office stuff, that sort of thing. The spec I went for was 27" with:

Processor 3.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7

Memory 8Gb RAM - was intending to add more later

Storage 1TB Fusion Drive

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB GDDR5

In short, it's proven to be absolutely superb, super reliable, very quick, no obvious delays when photo processing in LR and PS - maybe the odd few seconds delay e.g. when merging large Nikon D800 files into panoramas or HDR. I haven't even felt the need to add to the 8Gb RAM so far.

I'm toying with adding a MacBook Air or Pro (maybe Retina) for those periods when I'm away from home including holidays when I'd like to do some photo processing. This would be infrequent use so in a way it's a bit of self-indulgence, so I don't need as higher spec as the iMac. Think RAM would be key so going for 8Gb again and 256Gb flash storage would give me sufficient capacity for travelling. Quite like the look of the MB Air - probably MBP Retina is overkill (but would be nice). So maybe something like:

MBA - 1.7GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz

MBP Retina - 2.4GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 turbo up to 2.9

Some reasonable refurb prices at these spec levels as well.

I never know what these different processor specs mean - i7 in the MBA sounds 'better/faster' than i5 in the MBP to me, but only 1.7gHz in the i7 compared to 2.4Ghz (or more) in the i5 sounds 'less'?

As said, the key for me is a reasonable spec for travel but one that doesn't entail significant processing lag for photo editing. Many thanks for any comments / advice please.

Gary

gary396's gear list:gary396's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 +12 more
Nikon D800 Samsung i7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow