RX-10 for indoor sports?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Biological_Viewfinder
Senior MemberPosts: 1,194
Like?
Prolly not
In reply to jcurtistx, 7 months ago

jcurtistx wrote:

As you can see from my signature below, I have the A57 and the Sigma 50-150 f2.8 I ise occasionally to take photos of our little girls in gymnastics. Any idea how the RX-10 would compare in a similar setting? Would the RX-10 be able to capture action at the same shutter speed as the A57 + Sigma 50-150?

I am confused about the aperture and the smaller sensor being 2.8 vs 2.8 on APS-C.

I have thought about selling all of my Alpha heat and getting the RX-10 since lugging around lenses with two small kids is a challenge that results in the A-57 being left at home often. I bought the RX100 earlier this year and love it for travel. However it does not have reach and no flash shoe. The RX-10 I can add a flash too plus has a longer lens.

Thoughts?

Jeff
--
Sony A57, Sony 18-135, Tamron 60 f2, Sigma 50-150 f2.8, Tamron 70-210 f3.5-4.5 (Circa 1988), Sony 55-300, Minolta 70-210 "Beercan"

Probably not, but it took me awhile to come to the conclusion. You seem to suggest that you need to be taking pictures of all events on the floor. Anyway, it seems that this the venue or purpose cause somewhat complex demands on you and your camera.

So I asked myself, would I use this camera for wedding photography?
Would I have used it 15 years ago for that purpose?

No, and No.

That said, I'm strongly considering selling my Nikon D800e when my RX10 camera arrives.

Why? You ask.

Well, mostly because when I look back at my photography history; I don't see that resolution or dynamic range had as much to do with me taking good photographs as compared to when I was more comfortable and had a 1 lens solution instead of a backpack.

The D800e dominates the RX10 in most of the ways that count. And still, I think I'll just be happier not carrying a backpack just to take a photograph!

-- hide signature --

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow