Nikon Df, how easy to focus manually?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
sgoldswo
Senior MemberPosts: 3,551Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon Df, how easy to focus manually?
In reply to moimoi, 9 months ago

moimoi wrote:

MisterHairy wrote:

Had a play with a Df today, side by side with one of our D800Es and using my ZF.2 35/1.4. Focusing was no better on the Df; safe to say that both are poor for fast lenses. Same story with my 100/2 MP.

Thanks for this. So how does people shoot with the 50 mm AI(S) 1.2 wide open then? Do they rely on the focus confirmation dot? No way they can focus this beat well with their naked eye, maybe it works ok for close subject, but passed a few meters and more, it is MUCH harder to nail the focus at f/1.2

Df felt quite nice but a bit light and I don't think that it'll be long before we start seeing reports of the dials getting knocked off or coming loose. It's not built for action. I kept wishing for an EC button on the right where it should be. Having to take your hand off the lens (not always possible with a heavy lens) or lower the camera to change that is a real PITA.

-- hide signature --

http://www.maximesiegler.com/
https://www.facebook.com/maxime.siegler.photography
Photography is about time, space, expression, and - ultimately - capturing light. This formula may sound easy, but actually capturing the "ideal" photograph is far more complex to accomplish as our own perceptions and responses vary according to each individual. Photography is inherently driven by human subjectivity, but the general feeling is that a superb photograph is widely appreciated, as it commonly depicts a striking and universal concept. I believe this process should be sought by many of us, who deeply enjoy capturing and sharing photographs that embrace life and depict what we are.

I do think the VF visual focus experience is improved in the Df, but within reason. What I mean by that is that I find it much easier to focus lenses at about F2 visually. At F1.2 - I have to use the green dot for accurate focus. That's perceptibly different from my D800E, where I could use visual confirmation for F2.8 (at a push) and no wider.

sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Olympus E-M1 Nikon Df Nikon D810
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow