Nikon Df, how easy to focus manually?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Ralf C. Kohlrausch
Regular MemberPosts: 110Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon Df, how easy to focus manually?
In reply to moimoi, 9 months ago

Hi,

I tried the Df today at my dealer and found the viewfinder to be bright, clear and easy to overlook. I adjusted the diopter until I saw the findermarkings in optimal sharpness. Focus clearly snapped in and out with the 1,8/50. Only problem is: None of the shots that looked sharp in the finder were sharp on the sensor. The focusing-aid with the green dot and arrows agreed with the sensor and the af, but not with my eyesight.

AF was spot on, manual focusing by green-dot was spot on, manual focusing by eyesight was consistently off to the same side by a fairly large margin.

I repeated the test with my D800E and got better results, better but not good. I have a 1,5X loupe on my D800E, there were non on the Df. That may account for the difference.

I then compared to my old EM with it's splitscreen. There it is very easy to nail focus.

I was a bit disappointed. I really liked the looks of the Df, I like the ergonomics (fits my hands much better than the FE), I am @ home with the dials. But I would use it for manual lenses and I need a splitscreen for that. Also, I found the 16 MP sensor to be lacking. Guess I'm spoiled by the D800E.

Greets

Ralf C.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow