Through-the-window Long Exposure Winter Night Shot - NEX-6

Started Dec 6, 2013 | Photos thread
justincarlson
Forum MemberPosts: 88Gear list
Like?
Re: Through-the-window Long Exposure Winter Night Shot - NEX-6
In reply to Dunnlang, Dec 6, 2013

Thanks, I didn't think I bumped the camera, but I might have since I was using a rather unsturdy setup with my tripod on a table by the window. I used a 2-second timer. I find that the hardest thing with the NEX and kit lens is focusing, if not for the tower that's in the background I'm not sure how I'd be able to set focus to infinity (focus moves past infinity when turning the focus ring). I also get quite a bit of noise, which I attributed to the smaller sensor of the NEX compared to a full frame camera as well as the slower kit lens. I did have the long exposure noise reduction turned off but I don't think that would have helped the loss in detail that I was seeing in the dark areas of the photo. In this photo I essentially had noise reduction and sharpening both almost maxed out in Lightroom.

Your photo looks very nice, and very clean. Is that straight from camera?

Here's my original photo before it was PP'd:

Dunnlang wrote:

I really like the colors in the image. The ice adds just the right touch to the picture. I'd love to get some shots like this.

Did the camera get bumped at some point? All the lights seem to be a vertical line. Maybe you could turn on a 3 or 10 second delay from when you press the shutter button, or use a smartphone and Playmemories to remotely trigger.

I have only gone out at night with my NEX-6 one time. It is very challenging to get good shoots in some of these conditions. Near Chicago, you can never get away from the light pollution. According to the pollution map, this was one of the cleanest areas for 40 miles.

*Edit* Aside from aperture, we had the same settings and lens!

Foggy night with heavy light pollution.

justincarlson's gear list:justincarlson's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS HDRsoft Photomatix Pro +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow