Started Dec 6, 2013 | Photos thread
Florida Nature Photographer
Senior MemberPosts: 5,256Gear list
Like?
Re: Going back tomorrow - How can I do better? - Night shots
In reply to clengman, Dec 6, 2013

clengman wrote:

Florida Nature Photographer wrote:.

Thanks for the bad news. Oh well, only one best night shot per night I guess.

I wouldn't go that far.

There's hope!

The thing to watch out for is the bright highlights. Set your exposure so those aren't clipped (or not too badly clipped).

This keeps coming up. I was carefully watching my preshot blinkies. How did I end up with clipped highlights? Where exactly do you see them?

You can adjust the rest of the tones later. The closer the brightness of the sky is to the brightness of the artificial lighting in the scene, the less dynamic range you will have to capture.

Thanks for that explanation. For some reason that clicked in my brain.

The data you'll have to work with in your RAW file. If you have some pictures with sky and buildings that look lighter than what you wanted, don't be too quick to toss them out. I think it usually works better to start with a slightly too bright sky and pull it down a little, than it is to push shadows that started out too dark

Now this seems to contradict some of the other advise I've been given... to underexpose.

, but like someone else said, you have a camera with a good, not terribly noisy sensor, you will have a lot of latitude to push shadow areas if that's what you need to do.

Some of the shots I took the other night had quite a bit of noise. I'm trying to figure out how I caused that.

Florida Nature Photographer's gear list:Florida Nature Photographer's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Topaz Adjust +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow