Going back tomorrow - How can I do better? - Night shots

Started Dec 6, 2013 | Photos thread
Florida Nature Photographer
Senior MemberPosts: 5,261Gear list
Like?
Re: Going back tomorrow - How can I do better? - Night shots
In reply to tjuster1, Dec 6, 2013

tjuster1 wrote:

First, I agree with others: they're good photos. Looking at them at 100% they look acceptably sharp to me as well, so I'm not sure where your concern about that aspect comes from.

I didn't think they weren't sharp just that the overall impact didn't have the pop of some of those that inspired me to pursue this avenue of photography.

The one thing I've learned about night photography is to stop the lens down, sometimes to f/5.6 or f/8.

I was using f4 and f8 alternately so I could compare later.

This seems to reduce the purple glow you often see, such as above the Suntrust building on the first photograph.

Thanks for pointing out a flaw I hadn't noticed. That building has lights on the roof. Might that be the cause?

The second thing is to be very careful about over-exposing, since the bright points of light will often saturate the sensor.

Second mention of this. I was ETTR on some, the opposite of what you are suggesting.

The Sony sensor in the EM1 and EM5 are so good at lifting shadows that you can often take what appears to be a quite underexposed image and produce a very nice photograph with it, especially since the shadows rarely contain a lot of interesting information in night photos.

I find that many of my best night photos were underexposed and then brightened with shadow recovery in LR. Of course you need to be shooting in RAW to take advantage of this fully.

I will definitely be trying some underexposed shots tonight... assuming I don't forget with all these great suggestions I'm getting.

Florida Nature Photographer's gear list:Florida Nature Photographer's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Topaz Adjust +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow