Going back tomorrow - How can I do better? - Night shots

Started Dec 6, 2013 | Photos thread
LincolnB
Senior MemberPosts: 3,732Gear list
Like?
Re: Going back tomorrow - How can I do better? - Night shots
In reply to Florida Nature Photographer, Dec 6, 2013

Florida Nature Photographer wrote:

I did this last night. It was strictly a learning/practicing expedition and I'm not satisfied with the results because I'm comparing my results with night shots I've seen here especially those of Bob Tullis. I'm not expecting that overnight, if ever, but Weather permitting I am going right back to the same place tomorrow night to try to do better. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

How do you deal with the stupid headlights and still get the blue sky right at sunset?

You may need to make local white balance adjustments with either a brush or a gradient. Also, try to expose for the lights rather than the mid-tones, i.e. don't let the points of light get too overexposed. Watch out for blinkies, as they say.

Here's a mix of lighting temperatures, shot in RAW. The WB was set to 2700 then I used a WB brush adjustment on the woman in the lower left, to make her skin look more natural.

In this shot I used a WB adjustment brush on the foreground (-100 actually).

LincolnB's gear list:LincolnB's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Fujifilm X-E1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow