Going back tomorrow - How can I do better? - Night shots

Started 10 months ago | Photos thread
Florida Nature Photographer
Senior MemberPosts: 4,683Gear list
Like?
Re: Going back tomorrow - How can I do better? - Night shots
In reply to Michael L NYC 99, 10 months ago

chael L NYC 99 wrote:

As some others have said, I would try a blue hour shot without the polariser.

I want to try both ways but I don't know if I will have time. I'd also like to get a couple of different compositions I noted the other night but I know I won't have time to do all of that.

If you time it right, you can also get a nice sky reflection on the water, which would brighten your shot. I don't know if you shot this RAW, but have you adjusted the highlights in processing? The red color also looks a bit over saturated.

Shot RAW - enhanced highlights and shadows.

Reducing the red saturation should bring back some details.

I didn't try that. Do you know why that would work?

You did a good job on the HDR processing of the second shot. HDR shots with dark shadows can sometimes result in lots of noise, but I don't see that here.

Interesting thing there... I took that shot at f8 and f4. I couldn't use the f8 version because the light reflection off the curved legs were two big and extended beyond the legs themselves.

I agree with an earlier comment about the Voigtlander lenses and their rendering of bright night lights. The Nokton lenses make starbursts that auto focus lenses in M43 cannot replicate.

Unfortunately I've spent enough money on equipment for awhile and will have to learn to make the best of what I have. The stuff I have ain't bad from what I hear.

Florida Nature Photographer's gear list:Florida Nature Photographer's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Topaz Adjust +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow