Going back tomorrow - How can I do better? - Night shots

Started 7 months ago | Photos thread
tjuster1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,441
Like?
Re: Going back tomorrow - How can I do better? - Night shots
In reply to clengman, 7 months ago

First, I agree with others: they're good photos. Looking at them at 100% they look acceptably sharp to me as well, so I'm not sure where your concern about that aspect comes from.

The one thing I've learned about night photography is to stop the lens down, sometimes to f/5.6 or f/8. This seems to reduce the purple glow you often see, such as above the Suntrust building on the first photograph. The second thing is to be very careful about over-exposing, since the bright points of light will often saturate the sensor. I always take several pictures at various settings to find that right combination that allows enough light but not too much to blow out some of the interesting parts. The Sony sensor in the EM1 and EM5 are so good at lifting shadows that you can often take what appears to be a quite underexposed image and produce a very nice photograph with it, especially since the shadows rarely contain a lot of interesting information in night photos.

I find that many of my best night photos were underexposed and then brightened with shadow recovery in LR. Of course you need to be shooting in RAW to take advantage of this fully.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow