Is bounce flash TTL usable on K-5 II with Metz 50 AF-1 and DA 16-45 ?

Started Dec 4, 2013 | Questions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
karet
karet Contributing Member • Posts: 503
Is bounce flash TTL usable on K-5 II with Metz 50 AF-1 and DA 16-45 ?

Hello,

I'm on the fence to upgrade from K20D to K-5 II or K-3.

I'm running into the limits of my K20D when I try to take pictures of people dancing salsa at parties. My setup is K20D, Metz Mecablitz 50 AF-1 and DA SMC 16-45 f/4. The venues are dark. (1/6 sec F/4 ISO 1600 without flash) When taking portraits of standing or sitting guests the autofocus takes seconds to lock, even when using the red focus light on the Metz 50 AF-1. It bothers me but I can live with that. Taking shots of dancing people just doesn't work. Dancing couples perform open breaks where both dancers face the camera, these are the moments to catch for a good photo and they last about a second. I know to anticipate these moments but I don't succeed. The K20D is too slow to catch these moments.

My questions:

1 When I upgrade to K-5 II and use the Metz for bounce flash with P-TTL, will the exposures be acceptable? I've read about TTL problems, how bad are they? I'll accept occasional overexposed or underexposed results of about 1 stop. I can fix those in Lightroom and can live with that. More than say 20% blacked out or white washed pictures will not be acceptable.

2 I expect from reviews that the K-5 II autofocus will work fast and reliably at these parties so taking portraits with AF-S will be a treat. Do you agree?

3 How useful will AF-C be? Will I be able to catch dancers that move towards me? What rate of success can I expect? What are your experiences in catching children or animals in dimly lit rooms?

4 Have you tried the K-3 with bounce flash in situations similar to what I describe? What is your percentage of well exposed and in focus pictures?

Thanks in advance for your replies,

Karet

karet's gear list:karet's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 5200 Pentax K-5 II Pentax K-3 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL +9 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Pentax K20D Pentax K-3 Pentax K-5 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
JNR
JNR
JNR
JNR
JNR
JNR
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow