Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
TonyinJapan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,050Gear list
Like?
Panasonic GM1 (BANDING ISSUES…)
4 months ago

Just as I was getting along all fine and dandy with my new Panasonic GM1, then took some photos last night and saw streaks of banding in shots taken over 1600ISO… grrrrhhhhh…

I heard about the banding problems with the 20mm f1.7 with the OM-D E-M5 with high-ISO shots… and what do you know, it was the 20mm that was attached to the GM1.

So, just now, I just took some more shots from ISO200 until ISO25600 with the 20mm f1.7 (version 1) attached and also 12-32mm to see if it is a problem with the lens or camera.

GM1_20mm_1600ISO

GM1_12-32mmmm_25600ISO

Banding appears from 1600ISO with the 20mm lens attached; However, with the 12-32mm, banding appears further at extreme 25600ISO.

I also have the E-M5 and some other Olympus cameras, so I will do further testing when I have time (in the office at the moment).

One of the key features of the GM1 is the ability to use high-ISO since it does not have IBIS. And the 20mm f1.7 will be one of those ideal lenses to use on the GM1 for many users because it is fast and compact, but if we can’t even go higher than shooting ISO800 without banding it is a big problem.

What do you think?

Is it a camera problem or a lens problem?

And more importantly, can Panasonic fix this problem via a firmware update?

Will keep you all updated with further testing.

Regards,
Tony
--------
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26154011@N07/

TonyinJapan's gear list:TonyinJapan's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +3 more
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow