Started Apr 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
New Daddy
Regular MemberPosts: 461Gear list
Like?
Re: Flash behaviour for all to see.
In reply to clengman, 4 months ago

clengman wrote:

Guy Parsons wrote:

Just now playing with E-PL5+FL-300R while having a coffee break.

Here's the thumbnails from FastStone Viewer. Deliberate fast speed to eliminate ambient light adding in, because it's just the flash behaviour I am interested in.

All f/5.5, 1/200, ISO 400, my normal +1.3 flash comp, TTL flash, metering as shown below.

2903 Matrix

2904 Matrix (lowered camera to include paper on table)

2905 Centre weighted

2906 Centre weighted (lowered camera to include paper on table)

2907 Spot (on timber wall)

2908 Spot (on timber wall) (lowered camera to include paper on table)

I know my conclusion, what's yours?

Ummm... It's very clear to me that the metering mode has an effect on the flash exposure. 2908 is a little brighter than 2906. 2906 is a little brighter than 2904. This is exactly what you'd expect to see if you were giving greater weight to the center spot.

It's also obvious that including the paper in the frame is affecting the metering even when the center spot meter is used, but the difference in brightness between 2908 and 2907 is much less than the difference between 2904 and 2903.

There's no need at all to bother any more with this thread.

Regards.... Guy

Now that you mention it, yes it looks like the ambient metering has effect on the flash exposure. I observed it too in Panasonic actually. (http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52644586)

New Daddy's gear list:New Daddy's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Olympus TG-820 iHS Nikon D40 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow