Started Dec 4, 2013 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
phazelag
Senior MemberPosts: 2,715Gear list
Like?
Wanted to Love it, but I don't
Dec 4, 2013

I came across this camera when shopping for the Panasonic FZ200 and being a Ricoh/Pentax admirer, I checked it out, seem to have good reviews but planned to get the Panasonic FZ200 anyway.  But then I found it on sale for $149 so I bought it.  At that price I could give up a nicer EVF and the wider aperture of the Panasonic.

My first impressions were similar to other reviews.  I don't mind double A batteries but the fall out easily when removing the SD card.  But my main problem with camera is it seems to be sluggish compared to any of my Panasonic's I already own.  Pressing the EVF button has a long delay compared to my LF1 EVF button, and pressing the shutter has a lag even in good light.

I also knew the EVF was low resolution but I underestimated how hard it would be to track objects with it when zoomed in which would make it tough for birding.  I am not sure if a wider field of view would help much, but I think a red dot site would.  I am not penalizing the camera for the EVF as the fold out LCD is useful.

I took some Macro photos with it, and its actually quite excellent and the images were wonderful.  But I also tried taking some decently lit indoor portraits at the max f3.1 with it as well as some bird shots in good afternoon light and I was not impressed.  Even when the subjects were in focus, the were not sharp.  I did see you can adjust the sharpness settings, but since there is no .RAW capability I was disappointed with over all image quality.  In fairness I was testing the absolute limits of the camera for my intended use which any camera like this will not work miracles, but I was able to get way sharper images from my 12MP Panasonic LF1 with only 200mm equivalent zoom by cropping some.

I wouldnt consider my review the gospel as I am returning after a day and I have a limited purposes in mind.  I did like the menu and layout of controls.  I think my wife would do OK with it, but I think she would want something with less shutter lag.

It was too slow in Kid/pet/ or sports modes to get a single decent shot.

I think if you are into Macros this camera is great, but I plan to spend more and get a decent bird/macro superzoom.  I am rating high on Still life for macro capability.

-- hide signature --
 phazelag's gear list:phazelag's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +1 more
phazelag's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
acceptable
Action / sports
weak
Landscapes / scenery
good
Portraits
mediocre
Low light (without flash)
bad
Flash photography (social)
acceptable
Studio / still life
great
= community average
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Pentax X-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow