Started Dec 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
since1968
Contributing MemberPosts: 575Gear list
Like?
a7R + Leica 50mm Summilux ASPH first reactions from RX1 shooter
Dec 4, 2013

I bought the a7R primarily to shoot with M glass, so I don't have much to say about autofocus. First reactions:

Pros:

• Achieving manual focus is surprisingly easy without having to resort to focus peaking. I'll have more keepers in focus with the a7R than I do with my film rangefinder.
  • Combination of sensor and lens achieves a natural "film" look almost straight of the camera. My kids are mixed and it drives me nuts trying to reproduce their skin tones. I realize this is an edge case.
  • EVF is beautiful. Just beautiful. I've read that it's the same EVF as the RX1, but it seems brighter and more clear. A real pleasure and I can't imagine using an OVF again.

Cons:

• The camera is too light. If you've ever shot with the X-Pro1 you'll know the feeling of a well-constructed, empty box. The a7R feels just the same. Put a 50 Lux on the front and it's too front heavy. 
  • Build not as solid as RX1. 
  • Yes, the shutter is loud. Ker-CHUNK! My kids commented on it without being prompted. This is no big deal if you're coming from a DSLR, but if you're coming from an RX1 expect to notice it.

Overall, I'm cautiously optimistic the a7R is a keeper.

Straight OOC, default settings. a7R + 50 Lux ASPH. 1/60 second, f/1.4, ISO 1600.

-- hide signature --
 since1968's gear list:since1968's gear list
Sony RX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Sony Alpha 7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH +1 more
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Sony Alpha 7R Sony RX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow