ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
yursturly
Regular MemberPosts: 230
Like?
Need Advice before returning K3 because of blurred images
8 months ago

Good day to all,

Generally, I have gotten superb information and incredible help from the many fine members of DPR. This post will be the test!

I am sincerely seeking to share some findings, with the hope of finding an explanation and maybe a solution to a recurring problem I and others are experiencing. Yes, I am an average, amateur photo enthusiast, but I can and have taken photos that anyone would judge excellent. I know how to use my equipment, but I learn more every day of every year. This problem has taken me to the point of obtaining a return authorization from the dealer where I purchased my K3, which I truly have enjoyed using, and regret that I cannot obtain satisfactory photos with to date.

With my K3, when walking around shooting photos, I set my camera to SR on, P mode, and try to get the lowest ISO, highest shutter speed I can with the aperture I deem most suited to the subject matter I am shooting. Usually, I set ISO to auto. Whether shooting action shots with my daughter walking her dog or shooting my daughter and dog outdoors in a static pose, if I shoot by hand and have SR set to On, most (but not all) of my photos are blurred. It is worst when I spot focus on a white subject matter. I nearly always use spot focus, vary AF.C and AF.S and have tried AF.A. With techniques that yielded amazingly sharp, almost 3-D like photos with my K10D, I get most often blurred photos with my K3.

Yes, I know I can use a tripod, and did for the shots below. But, I choose to hold by hand and walk around looking for stuff to shoot, unobtrusively. It worked before.

Here is a test I performed today, in an effort to find out what is going on. I mounted my Tamron AF 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 IF Macro DiII on my K3 and mounted them on a Bogen Manfrotto tripod, placed on a sturdy wooden dock. I shot a white flower about 15 feet distant. Lens set at 250mm, F8, 1/400, ISO 100, EV -0.7. Shot very carefully, since 2 sec delay shooting disables SR.

DNG files converted to jpeg by Lightroom 5.2 with absolutely no modifications. Uploaded to Flickr both original and 100% crop. You can view the originals here:

#224 http://www.flickr.com/photos/106677868@N03/11197084854/in/photostream/

#225 http://www.flickr.com/photos/106677868@N03/11197201933/in/photostream/

Shot #224 has SR set ON, and #225 has SR set OFF. I performed this test 3 additional times with lower and higher shutter speeds. The results were less profound, but the same. With SR on, this camera blurs the image. Period.

#224 100% crop (SR=ON)

#225 100% crop (SR=OFF)

What's going on here?

Constructive posts would truly be gratefully received. I will try to monitor this post and respond when appropriate, answer questions about technique, etc.

-- hide signature --

You cannot fake sincerity

Pentax K10D Pentax K-3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow