Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
phaseout
Forum MemberPosts: 59
Like?
Buy an A7 or go E-M1?
9 months ago

Hello, I have a dilemma. I recently sold some of my DSLR equipment and am looking to start with a smaller system. I have about 4k to spend on a new system. I see many photo samples of A7 and A7R's but the majority seem to be using older manual focus lenses. I'm not really a manual focus guy and have two young kids I need to capture running around causing havoc. I take alot of macro photos and kid photos. I also do a fair amount of street photography. Low light capabilities are also important.

I really need to know if I should be investing in this system. The IQ is there for sure, the look and the handling is there but I am not confident in the autofocus abilities and the lack of lenses out of the gate is a problem for me since I don't have a collection of older lenses. I got to try the A7 at the Sony Store and if feels great so ergonomics is not an issue.

My other option is to go with Micro 4/3 and buy the E-M1. I have heard good things about its Autofocus abilities and the in-body IS but I would be sacrificing IQ and DOF control. However I would not have any lens issues since there is a large collection of quality lenses available already.

I think I understand the pluses and minuses of both systems, I am just looking for some opinions on which system is right for me.

Thanks

Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha 7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow