yyr
yyr
Senior MemberPosts: 2,513
Like?
Re: Once in a year opportunity : ) .... messed up. : (
In reply to Florida Nature Photographer, 9 months ago

Florida Nature Photographer wrote:

yyr wrote:

I know that it's not the purpose of your post but it's always worth remembering that the camera has an Auto function and I'm often surprised at what a good job it can do. Sometimes, when out with friends and in conversation or if a 'seize the moment' opportunity arises I will use Auto rather than faff about for the right settings and miss the shot. I know that it's probably a sign of weakness but there you have it.

I just tried your idea in all different lighting situations around the house. The E-M1 seemed to be stuck on f2.8 and never went above ISO 1600. In a dark spot in my garage it blinked indicating it couldn't get proper exposure but still was at ISO 1500. I thought it might be set to go no higher than that so I went into the menu and the item to set the ISO range was greyed out.

Is your experience different with Intelligent Auto on the E-M1?

Hi Florida. I have the EM5 but I don't imagine there's much difference. The point of Auto is that the camera makes all the decisions about which settings to use. That means ISO, aperture and shutter speed. You cannot set anything. and this is not a camera specific thing. All cameras have an auto setting.

I've just taken the EM5 into a dark bedroom with a tiny bit of ambient light from the lamp in the room next door. It took a not too bad photo with the following settings ISO 1600 F2 and a shutter speed 1.6 seconds. It's not what I would choose but perfectly OK when the situation calls for it. You may have a limit set on your ISO - check the gear menu I'm fairly sure there is a 'maximum ISO' setting somewhere in the camera. It's not something I use but I do remember seeing it.

-- hide signature --

Yaelle

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
wellNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow