OK, what do you think of -this- photo?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
skanter
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,462Gear list
Like?
Re: OK, what do you think of -this- photo?
In reply to JulesJ, 8 months ago

JulesJ wrote:

skanter wrote:

JulesJ wrote:

skanter wrote:

JulesJ wrote:

Jeff_Donald wrote:

It reminds me of this photo by Alfred Stieglitz, Winter On Fifth Avenue.

Not bad but ruined by the general overall up sharpness, the lack of detail in the foreground and background, and the terrible fading. I jest to make a point.

And a good point it is. Photography (as an art form) is about the eye of the photographer, not about technical details. It would be a good idea for many on this "gear forum" to study some of the great photographers, learn about the history of this art form, and not worry so much about absolute sharpness and lack of noise in their 100% crops and other pixel-peeping endeavors.

But none of these factors detract from the photo; far different from your photo with the burnt-out streetlight. I would say criticism about that is beyond opinion, just common sense to anyone with half an eye.

-- hide signature --

Sam K., NYCI

I was joking Skanter, I' m sorry you missed my tongue in cheek joke. I think the photo is fine.

What was your point? It seemed to me the "jest" was for the purpose of defending the issues of the photo you posted with the streetlight, no?

Well sort of, I was just being sarcastic to make a point, but obviously I didn't succeed. Never mind, worse things have happened at sea.

-- hide signature --

Sam K., NYC

No big deal, but you seem to be equivocating your image with the burnt-out streetlight with all photos that are not technically perfect. There are photos that are imperfect that still work, like the above, and there are those that definitely do not. IMO, your is in the latter category.

-- hide signature --

Sam K., NYC

skanter's gear list:skanter's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
crapNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow