Like?
Re: Photo
In reply to JulesJ, 10 months ago

JulesJ wrote:

skanter wrote:

JulesJ wrote:

skanter wrote:

JulesJ wrote:

Here an monotone, blurred, badly exposed, noisy image from me.

jules

Jules, no offense, but it might be better to start your own thread. Its too confusing if everyone posts their photo on this thread I started.

I think we all had our say about you image. I did, I liked it, and I am furthering the discussion that you started. It raises important points.

The burnt out light ruins what could be a nice photo...

Explain why.

-- hide signature --

Sam K., NYC

It seems obvious to me that the burnt out light ruins the photo because the eye is inexorably drawn to an ugly white blotch on top of the page. It makes it almost impossible to enjoy any other interesting textural or compositional elements of the photo.

-- hide signature --

Sam K., NYC

i respect your opinion and an opinion is not to be argued with. However I wonder if you showed this picture to a tribesman from the jungle which had never seen a photograph before whether this would be his reaction. I believe that you have been taught that pure whit on an image us wrong, and that there should never be an area of white with no detail. Even if in real life the contrast between the dark surroundings and bright light would have actually made the light look like that to the naked eye. I'm not trying defend my image, it was chosen quickly as an example, just trying to make people think twice about what makes an interesting Photo.

A tribesman from the jungle might think the white light is a malevolent god stealing his soul, but I don't see how this is relevant.

You are incorrect about my having "been taught that pure white on an image us [sic] wrong, and that there should never be an area of white with no detail". I was never taught that, and don't believe it. You must know by now that I am not one for following any "rules" in photography, as evidenced by my posting a noisy, blurry photo. I just viscerally felt that the streetlight was ugly, distracting, and made it difficult to see anything else in the photo.

And, it was a bad idea to hijack my thread for your own purposes.

-- hide signature --

Sam K., NYC

skanter's gear list:skanter's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
crapNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow