Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
susan2012
New MemberPosts: 23
Like?
ultimate pocketable nightlife camera?
8 months ago

I am looking for a camera that excels in some very much competing areas.  I want very discrete/jeans-pocketable, yet excellent in very in low light and capable of shallow depth of field.  It's for taking photos of friends in dark places like restaurants, outdoor street cafes at night, inside pubs, and in dance clubs.  Mostly it's for taking pictures of individuals, so I will mostly being using it at large aperture.  It is a challenge, of course, because the smaller a camera is the worse its performance in low light.  But I was wondering what advice people had..

At the moment I have a Canon S95 and, though it is impressive, it still simply isn't good enough to get the pictures I want.  Just too much noise and motion blur in nighttime shots.  My 4 year old APS-C DSLR with F1.4 is naturally much better and would be great if it wasn't unacceptably large.  I can't get the shots I want with a DSLR because it is too conspicuous and "uncool" (not quite the right word but having hard time finding right adjective).

So I was wondering if something like the RX100II or Lumix GX1 with the 20mm F1.7 pancake lens might be my best options.  Anyone have opinions?  Is there any camera out there that kicks the most ass at what I'm looking for?  The GX1 looks like it has the right sensor size, but is the lens good for "portrait" photography in these kinds of conditions?  Maybe neither of these cameras is quite right, but what else is out there?  The pocketable part seems to be the principal challenge.

Canon PowerShot S95 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow