Started Dec 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
RoelHendrickx
Forum ProPosts: 22,790
Like?
The poor man's "Leica Monochrom": winter morning images
Dec 3, 2013

I recently acquired a camera that I consider to be a true classic of digital cameras: the Panasonic L1, together with the Leica-branded kit lens for that camera: the 14-50mm F2.8-3.5 OIS lens.

Here is that camera: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicdmcl1/

The L1 was (and still is) unique in that it offers direct analog-style controls for shutter speed (dedicated dial) and aperture (ring around the lens, with just a few lenses). A very classic shooting experience.

You Leica folks know the camera better as the Leica Digilux 3 (basically the exact same thing but with a slightly different styling and red dot).

I've been having quite some fun already with the 2007 camera.

The camera's default shooting mode is JPG (different sizes and qualities), and then you can choose between a variety of "film modes" (colour and B&W).

Setting the JPG film mode to "Dynamic B&W", you can use the camera perfectly as a dedicated B&W imaging machine, with an operation, look and feel, that provides an experience like driving a well maintained oldtimer. Mucho fun!!

"Smooth B&W" and "Standard B&W" are other options, but I like lots of contrast in my B&W.

Setting the camera to record RAW also, dual files are saved, and there is always the possibility to revert to colour and do the full monty of post-processing if somehow that feels better for a shot.

It may (certainly) not be a Leica Monochrom, but it sure ticks a lot of boxes for me...

Last Sunday I took the camera out for a three-hour, two-part walk : first just after sunrise in a favourite park, and then on to the city (Antwerp) to climb the floors of the MAS museum towards the top floor panorama over the city, together with some other folks.

Here is a small gallery of my results (B&W and colour) : http://roelh.zenfolio.com/p680976781

(I do not hesitate to share this here, because (a) the lens is Leica-branded and Leica-supervised and (b) the camera is the twin of a Leica camera.)

And here are some samples (B&W JPG cropped and enhanced in Lightroom):

That last one is one of those that I felt worked also very well in colour, so I was glad that I also recorded the RAW files. Here is the (split-toned) colour treatment of that shot:

Thanks for looking.

C&C is always appreciated, of course.

(Oh, I almost forgot to say: apart from the excellent 14-50 lens, I also used the Rokinon manual 85mm F1.4 and the Zuiko SHG 7-14mm lens for a few of the included shots.)

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Why?New
BenNew
ANew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow