Canon images are too soft! Can they be fixed?

Started Dec 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
CMurdock
Contributing MemberPosts: 819
Like?
Canon images are too soft! Can they be fixed?
Dec 3, 2013

Now, I know that most people on this forum will disagree with me, but in my opinion the images from Canon cameras are too soft, even to the point of being blurry. Twelve years ago, when I bought my first digital camera (a Canon), the situation was different. Canon cameras seemed to lead the pack in terms of image sharpness. But that has changed in my opinion.

In recent years I've been infatuated with the sharpness of images from Sigma cameras. When you compare Sigma images with any other brand, the other brands tend to look like mush. However, Sigma cameras are poorly designed in almost every other respect.

My problem is that I would very much like to own a G15 or G16, but the sample images I see are too soft. Is there any way to sharpen up the images from those cameras without making them look unnatural?

I'm attaching a comparison of the Sigma SD1 and the Canon S110 (the S120 hasn't been reviewed yet, so I can't use that for comparison). The Sigma has a slightly larger image size than the S110 does, but not enough to explain the dramatic different in sharpness. The SD1 is a DSLR, but I should point out also that Sigma's compact cameras are even sharper than the SD1 (but DPR hasn't reviewed them).

So has anyone found a way to sharpen up the images from their G15 or G16? Does anyone out there share my opinion?

You need to look at this at "original size" see what I'm talking about. Click the "original size" link below.

Canon PowerShot G15 Canon PowerShot G16 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon PowerShot S120 Sigma SD1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow