What is your biggest disappointment about GM1?

Started Nov 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
Iskender
Senior MemberPosts: 1,319
Like?
Re: no focus ring
In reply to TEBnewyork, Dec 3, 2013

TEBnewyork wrote:

Iskender wrote:

Not to mention those fully-digital controls are likely to be even less accurate than normal by-wire focus. Which is a significant problem, since accuracy is what manual focus is all about. It's good that they've provided some way of doing it, but it's clearly an "emergency only" feature on this lens.

I have no idea of what you mean by this. You have enlarged view and focus peaking how is having a dial on back then any different than on the lens where you are using the same cues to figure out if you are in focus.

Because you get the same knowledge, but not the same means. Anyone who has used a good (or any) manual lens knows that by-wire focusing is often like walking on ice. One has to learn what adjustment will be interpreted which way, since it's not a matter of direct control. On the GM1, there is only a touch-screen and buttons for this. It is bound to have even worse performance, otherwise you would have to click on the buttons all day to get anywhere.

Do you do a lot of manual focusing yourself? Judging solely by your question, I'd guess no, but tell me if I'm utterly wrong. I'm just a bit surprised someone could think it will work just as well without a lens ring.

Manual focus with dials will be better than the touchscreen version. This is assuming it will be implemented that way on other bodies, do we know this to be the case? Anyway, it will still be worse, and this should be a given: they put it on the lenses in the first place because that's better. A large ring with a diameter of several centimetres will always be easier to use than tiny, fiddly dial. If you use dials for manual focus, you will have to learn to use the lens every time you buy a new camera, which is not how systems work normally.

None of this is a problem for easy manual focus situations, but those are the same cases where AF works anyway. But when it gets to focusing at night, with almost nothing visible on the screen, one really wants to turn the ring slowly back and forth, in as small increments as possible. A good control for adjusting aperture/shutter is not a good control for this.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow