Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
sderdiarian
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,261Gear list
Like?
End of an era: Panasonic stops production of plasma TV's
11 months ago

Not camera related unless you view your videos or photos on your TV, or unless you're a movie buff. We're all into images in any case, so this relates in that way I guess.

I was shocked to see the announcement on CNET that Panasonic will not manufacture plasma TV's after 2013 and there will be no 2014 models. This is a shame, as those who follow flatscreens understand that plasma is far superior to LCD and LED panels for deep blacks with high levels of detail in shadows, lack of motion blur and rich yet natural colors.

Panasonic's death knell may have been the scandal over blacks fading over time, but they solved that, as they did the issue of screens looking faded in bright rooms and image burn-in. It's now a product of proven reliability and superior image quality.

This appears to be one of those mass market driven cases where a lesser product has driven the superior product out of production.

Upon reading of this I immediately purchased an ST60 50" plasma while they're still available (won't last long), and at a bargain price of $978. Should provide years of highest quality viewing pleasure.

Here's a link to CNET's review for those interested:

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/panasonic-tc-p50st60/4505-6482_7-35566949.html

From CNET:

I'll be extremely surprised if any 2013 TV surpasses the ST60's combination of jaw-dropping performance and practical affordability.

Editors' Note, November 15, 2013: Panasonic has announced that it will no longer manufacture plasma televisions after 2013, making these TVs the last of their kind. That fact doesn't negatively affect our buying advice; in fact, just the opposite. We have confidence Panasonic will remain a viable company, and continue to support its plasma TVs, for years.

-- hide signature --

Sailin' Steve

sderdiarian's gear list:sderdiarian's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow