How to track a toddler's movement with X-E2

Started Dec 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
joema1
Regular MemberPosts: 371Gear list
Like?
Re: agree
In reply to Graham Hill, Dec 3, 2013

Graham Hill wrote:

You are not reading clearly. The OP is arguing that the pro level camera can't autofocus on a moving subject.

No. He is talking *exclusively* about how the X-E2's subject/face recognition will continuously track a laterally moving subject. Quote: "when I half press the shutter release button, the camera will continue AF on the face"

He was correct a D3S cannot do that or can't do it well. This has no implication whatsoever about the D3S utility as a sports photography tool. The ability to recognize and track subjects is not unique to the X-E2; he was just making a factually correct observation.

Historically, DSLRs used in sports photojournalism haven't needed subject recognition and tracking, because manually aimed phase detect AF works very well and a sparse array of phase detect points can't do subject recognition. The D3S's ability to recognize and laterally track a subject is especially limited.

Eventually advances in high resolution metering, CPU power and subject recognition algorithms may produce a DSLR subject recognition AF system with sufficient performance and reliability for pro sports photojournalism. Whether that happens before DSLRs are replaced by full-frame mirrorless cameras, I don't know.

The D4 and 1DX both have high-res metering which can provide subject recognition to the AF system which is combined with phase detect data. However I seriously doubt whether many pros using a D4 or 1DX would trust subject recognition on a "must get" shot to track a fast object laterally across the frame.

joema1's gear list:joema1's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow