Started May 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
StarShooter123
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Re: Nikon D800E and astrophotography
In reply to Astrophotographer 10, 8 months ago

Astrophotographer 10 wrote:

Thanks Jack!

Yes D800E is hard to beat. I agree with the assessment that it is the best current camera for that type of shot. And yes the 14-24mm lens is the best lens for widefield shots. I see some Canon 5D3 and mainly Canon 6D shots and these are good too. The Canon 6D shots seem a bit variable in that some look pushed too hard or a bit plastic looking. Canon seems to be using their firmware and processor to suppress noise harder than Nikon probably because they have to in order to compete.

60Da is good but its still an APSc. Also noise levels are pretty high in a 60D. Nothing like a D800E.

60Da would be lower but its still a 60D. I have read conflicting reports about the 60Da from best camera ever to didn't like it. Images I have seen so far are not impressive. The older 20Da was fantastic at its time but Canon may not have reproduced that wow factor this time around.

As far as using it with a telescope I did see a fantastic image from one guy who had his D800 modified. But he did complain about nonlinearity in the D800's images. I think he meant Nikon subtracts a base amount off the image considered to be noise down low in the image and rescales the image. It caused him some difficulty with processing but he seemed to get around it.

As good as the D800 is, for deep sky objects you will still get better results with a dedicated astronomy cooled camera that is mono and uses a filter wheel to create a colour image.

These are very sensitive and super low noise.

If you do chose Canon you can get a nice Novoflex adapter with aperture control to fit Nikon lenses so you can still use the Nikon 14-24 on a Canon. Canon does not have a good range of UWA lenses and most seem to use the Rokinon 14mm F2.8 which is also very good and fabulous value.

Greg.

Greg-

I am very interested in using the 800E for Astrophotography.  I was planning on using it with a telescope.  Am I correct in reading into your comment that all these amazing pictures were taken with just a wide lens?  That is very incredible.  How are the cameras tracking these objects for such a long time with just a camera and a lens?  Are they using autoguidance systems with cameras mounted on a tripod using camera lenses only?  If so, what is a good setup and what does it cost?

Thanks for your input.

Vince

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow