What cheap m43 'kit lens' to use for the OM-D E-M1? I have the 4/3 12-60 F2.8-4.0..

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Pikme
Senior MemberPosts: 1,467
Like?
Re: What cheap m43 'kit lens' to use for the OM-D E-M1? I have the 4/3 12-60 F2.8-4.0..
In reply to DLGW, 4 months ago

DLGW wrote:

I'm currently leaning towards the original 14-42 from olympus as it's both very small, very light, and very cheap (all things the 12-60, bless it's beastly heart, isn't).

Is it any good? Are the other kit lens options from Oly or Panasonic much better?

The original 14-42 is pretty horrible, at least my copy is horrible.  Not sharp, poor contrast, loud and slow focus.

The newer version is supposed to be much better and still pretty cheap, as is the Panny latest version.  I don't have either of those, so can't personally comment.

A good lens to consider is the Panasonic 14-45 (original 'kit lens' for m4/3).  It is sharpest of the kit lenses, I believe, and has good build quality.

The 12-50 lens has the same color and 'look' as the 12-60, with better distortion correction than the 12-60.  It has macro function, is weather sealed and has fast focus, but isn't cheap or as compact as the 14-42 kit lenses (but much smaller and lighter than the 12-60).  Also, it has wider/longer focal lengths than the other kit lenses. I actually prefer the 12-50 over the 14-45 because the 12-50 files look so similar to those from 12-60, and because of the added versatility of the lens.  However, the 14-45 is a sharper lens, at least in the center.  Neither the 12-50 nor the 14-45 are as good as the 12-60.

If you want higher quality or faster lens, then get a couple of the smaller primes.

-- hide signature --

Roberto M.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow