Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DaveofCali
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Nikon D7100 worth the risk?
8 months ago

I'm trying to decide with just going with the Nikon D7000 or to take the risk with the Nikon D7100, especially with the sales going on now.

The reason I call it a risk is because I like to take city landscape pictures, especially at dusk, and highly manipulate them.  I have been using a Nikon d5100 and been able to extract a high amount of dynamic range off just one raw image (with surprisingly little noise.)  I've wanted to buy the Nikon D7000 (for its less complicated handling and more pro features) before but held off waiting for its successor.

I have been highly disappointed however in the Nikon D7100 having horizontal banding problems.  My old Nikon d80 exhibited vertical banding when I tried to manipulate the images significantly, making some of those images useless.  And judging on how much I like to manipulate my raw images, I'm afraid that banding may limit my ability to manipulate my images.

And actually I do sell my images (digital versions full size, not prints,) which demands a higher standard.  I'm not feeling like its worth the risk, but I'm reluctant to pass on a 24 megapixel camera (especially with a better video mode including better quality nighttime video.)  What do you guys think?

Also, my Nikon D5100 exhibited significant amounts of color moire and other colors around the edges of my raw images (city photos of skylines can exhibit a lot of fine vertical and horizontal lines), how does the Nikon D7100 compare to it in terms of moire?

Thanks.

Nikon D5100 Nikon D7000 Nikon D7100 Nikon D80
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
DFTTNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow