Help choosing a Camera

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
BolleDuc
Regular MemberPosts: 235Gear list
Like?
Re: Help choosing a Camera
In reply to dasm94, 9 months ago

dasm94 wrote:

Hi. I currently own a Canon S90, whom I've had a wonderful relationship with. But I want to upgrade and buy a new camera.

The problem is I don't know which one.

The current options are:

- Panasonic G6 ($540 on Amazon with 14-42 kit lens)

- Samsung NX300 ($500 with 20-50)
- Sony Nex-6 with 16-55 kit lens (hopefully power zoom) (a little expensive at $750)
- Sony RX100 ($548)
I am a hobbyist and I mostly use my camera for landscape and street photography.
The thing is, I want something with a boost in quality than my S90, but I don't want to carry that much bulk. I don't know if the G6 or NX300 are pocketable (coat pocketable, that is). I want to be able to go on hikes or wander down the streets and take great pictures (as a designer, reat video is a plus too). And I don't know which of those cameras i shoulg get.
I don't know if one of those or if I should settle for a premium compact like the Olympus XZ-2, Panasonic LX7 or the S120 and buy myself a nice high-end later. But if I get one now, I would buy primes and use legacy lenses to experiment.
My head is all over the place, so any help is greatly appreciated!

I loved my S90 so much that I had it converted to IR to extend its life. Despite owning more expensive, later & better models, my current favourite "always with me" combo is the GX1 with the very compact 14-42mm Power Zoom. You'll find all sorts of criticisms against this pairing but you'll find it's inexpensive, good in the hand & fits in most pockets. Now I have to say that the GX7 is also a real contender, & realistically a better cam, though much pricier. Perhaps I'm just protecting it by not stuffing it in my pockets!

Paul

PS - The little 20mm lens that was kitted with the GX7 is fantastic if you want to avoid the 14-42mm PZ.

-- hide signature --

Dilettante - my hobby is buying & selling cameras not photography!
Panasonic GX7, Olympus E-PL5, Panasonic GX1 & Canon S90 (IR Converted 590nm)

BolleDuc's gear list:BolleDuc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Canon PowerShot S90 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Olympus PEN E-PM2 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow