Once in a year opportunity : ) .... messed up. : (

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
GeorgianBay1939
Senior MemberPosts: 2,191Gear list
Like?
Re: Once in a year opportunity : ) .... messed up. : (
In reply to locke_fc, 8 months ago

locke_fc wrote:

You're definitely over-thinking your "post-mortem".

It's much simpler than that. If you want to freeze movement, you shoot in shutter-speed priority at 1/250-1/500, or 1/30-1/60 if you pan your camera and are confident in your Planning technique.

I often shoot S(hutter) in the daytime ... that bald eagle above above was shot in shutter priority.  I don't see why I would bother with any form of AE (auto exosure) since my meter is kinda useless in those conditions.  Just shoot Manual, with my finger on the shutter dial (GX7), to change it if I want.  (I could do that in Shutter priority too.)

Thanks for confirming 1/250 -1/500 s.   I assume that is at f/2.8.

It looks to be in the ballpark.  Look at Art_P's shot at f/1.8, 1/40, I see from the FXIF that he was spot metering.  Even with that his auto exposure system overexposed significantly, judging by the overexposure of the large "ribbon" on the car.   I don't know which AE mode he was in.

You can let the camera take care of the rest with maybe some -EV applied to account for the night scene.

I figure about 3-4 stops of EC.  Again why just not go M(anual) mode instead of compensating (useless) meter readings.

-- hide signature --

Fer

Have you shot this sort of thing .... moving specular highlights in the full dark?
I'd like to see some examples if you have.

Many thanks,

Tom

GeorgianBay1939's gear list:GeorgianBay1939's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
wellNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow