In reply to Ulric, Dec 2, 2013

Ulric wrote:

Ulric wrote:

GeorgianBay1939 wrote:

Alternatives?

Pan.

Succinct.

Monosyllabic, even. I was going to bed.

You're taking a picture of a speeding train at night. I don't think freezing the motion with high shutter speed is the right thing to do, it will just look like any old christmas decorations. Panning will preserve the impression of speed.

Another idea is to use a tripod and let the lights paint streaks across the frame.

I like your last idea better.  I think that I will please my photo friends and use my tripod.  They always insist that I should use it more.  They are probably right!!

I was also too close.  This is what 5 cars of the (accelerating) train looked like as they were going by (at 1/8 sec):

Motion smearing is a bit excessive!!  But the camera shake wasn't quite as bad, judging by the red lights on the towers on the right.

I think that it will be good fun to practice capturing moving lighted objects at night over the next year.  Haven't done that yet. 

Tom

t

GeorgianBay1939's gear list:GeorgianBay1939's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
wellNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow