Initial impressions: Fuji X100s vs. Sony RX1

Started Dec 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
Daniel Lauring
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,233
Like?
Re: Initial impressions: Fuji X100s vs. Sony RX1
In reply to polarizer, Dec 2, 2013

polarizer wrote:

i used to have x100s and now have Rx1 (I still shoot fuji with x-e1/x-e2)

i liked using and the handling of x100s better but i get better results from RX1 (except colors and AWB which need work n post)

I really like the extra detail that is pulled from RX1...especially outdoors.  Been pretty pleased so far with the RX1's auto white balance, though Fuji really knows how to make colors pleasing.

wrt RX1 flash, I use manual mode and fix ISO and use fill in flash setting with some negative flash exposure bias and get good results

I can only get this to work if I fix ISO to below what the camera would naturally choose without flash or if I've got enough distance from the subject (+4 feet.)  For example, if the shot would have been taken at ISO 6400, I can get away with maybe ISO 3200 (vs. the ISO 100 the camera chooses by itself) and -3 flash compensation.  It is frustrating because it seems the flash could go lower but doesn't...like it's ignoring the subject in the foreground.  If I'm 2 feet away (crowded room/head & shoulders shot) the subject gets over exposed despite -3 on the flash compensation.  Try it and tell me if you can take a shot at ISO 6400, with the flash, that doesn't get overexposed.  It is frustrating to have the camera choose +6 EV (the difference between ISO 100 and ISO 6400) on slow sync, which leaves the background completely underexposed.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow