Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Ulric
Senior MemberPosts: 2,582Gear list
Like?
Re: Once in a year opportunity : ) .... messed up. : (
In reply to dinoSnake, 7 months ago

GeorgianBay1939 wrote:

eastvillager wrote:

Prefocus, use a tripod and camera flash and a wireless flash down off to the right and you could have nailed it. Take a look at O. WInston Link's railroad photos. He used a ton of lights to photograph this train under a full head of steam.

Thanks for that link.

I don't think that I'll buy and/or carry all of that apparatus around!

Great Imagery and story at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O._Winston_Link

Phenomenal Photograph (at the wiki link above) Takes us old f@rts back a bit. Those were the days.

Tom

Indeed.  I had the fortune to know Winston personally, a very gentle man.  In regards to the photos, on average he took 2 days to set up the scene and lighting for the photograph, plus the darkroom work (which is where I got to know him, he used the shop I managed to do some print processing).

If you expect to get results from a moving train...then, reading the prior replies, a tripod on this shoot is an absolute MUST.  Frankly, if you *really* want to get this shot without doing a "Winston" (200 light bubls set around the scene), you'd better expect an HDR with one for background and one for the freeze-motion of the train exclusively.  There is way too much dynamic range to ever expect to get a single shot that includes both the lights, well exposed, and some feeling of the ambient conditions around the train.  Not going to happen.

This is a brilliant idea. Go out tonight and shoot the same scene without the train. Then superimpose the somewhat blurry train from the first shot onto the sharp background of the second. It won't help with the clipped highlights but it will help with the camera shake, which was the worst problem.

Ulric's gear list:Ulric's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
wellNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow