Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Darren Pearson
Regular MemberPosts: 213
Like?
5D3 Owner bought a Sony A5R
7 months ago

As i am afflicted by gear acquisition syndrome, and as canon have been a bit tardy in offering a higher res version of their FF cameras, i thought that i would pick up one of the new Sony A5R 36MP bodies and a 35mm F2.8 Zeis lens to see how they compare to my 5D3.

And wow, what a disappointment! I love my little Sony RX100, it is amazing and i think the best P&S out there, but the A7R is a very different beast altogether.

I haven't put enough time into really trying it out, (only had it a few days) but i just cannot get my head around the EVF. It takes just long enough for the EVF to switch on when you raise it to your eye to miss shots, it seems to be dark for an age when taking photos. I know that an OVF blacks out when you take a shot, but it just seems so much quicker. Taking photos of the kids as they run around was just so irritating, i was missing shot after shot. I don’t keep the camera glued to my eye all of the time, so the lag in the EVF taking over from the back screen was infuriating. We are not taking seconds, but just long enough for the moment to pass.

I quickly gave up on the EVF, so i started using like a P&S with the back screen, but it was sort of the same, with a black screen on shutter release.

Once i had downloaded the results i was also disappointed, the shots in good light were sharp and detailed, but as soon as the light levels dropped and some more ISO was required to keep the shutter speeds up the detail dropped dramatically. Noise was OK, but certainly less detail than i am used to from the 5D3. I usually shoot my F1.4 50mm in low light so this is a but unfair to the A5R though.

I am not doing empirical experimentation to compare these two cameras. But just real world use, i don’t see me keeping the A7R.

I think it would be fine on a tripod, doing landscape work, or product shots in good light, but not for what i use a camera for, which is more travel and family shots, with the occasional landscape/product work.

Before you buy one of these, try them out in a camera shop first (like i should have!) they might be right for you, but certainly not for me.

I probably should point out that i am not a full time professional photographer, but i am not an amateur either. See some of my recent pics below (all from the 5D3)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29159750@N00/

-- hide signature --

Byron Bay, NSW, Australia

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
TrueNew
IfNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow