Once in a year opportunity : ) .... messed up. : (

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Corkcampbell
Forum ProPosts: 12,946Gear list
Like?
Why are you considering slow zooms for this?
In reply to GeorgianBay1939, 9 months ago

And I include the 2.8 one that was in the truck. I think that the Oly 12, 45, 75, and perhaps the Pany 25mm prime lenses would have been better, since you have time to choose your location and are familiar with the terrain. Even though they're slower, the Sigma 60mm and Pany 14 might also work. They both focus quite fast.

Also, with a situation like this, I would have used two or three bodies, with one on a tripod. I'm assuming that you would know the day the train is coming, so you could have everything set up and just have to grab the hardware and get outside when you get your alert.

This would also be an excellent situation in which to use the video on whichever camera handles video the best. This is one reason that I have kept a couple of GH2s around, even though I don't like its stills. It does low-light video quite well with some of the primes I mentioned above (I don't have the 25 or 12mm lenses) and I think that this opportunity that screams for video. I would probably have had my 2 GH2s on tripods or some kind of support, one in front of the train and one to shoot as it goes by, with the 14mm on one of them. These can be started well before the train arrives; you could practice with other trains in different light conditions to determine if it's better to have the lenses set to manual focus or not. With the video cameras taken care of, you could devote your whole attention to getting some good stills. You have 11 months to work this out, determine your positions, test different lenses, etc. I've done similar things, but not with a train. I rather envy you for this and would have fun spending a lot of time getting everything perfect, perhaps borrowing a lens, camera, tripod, whatever...although I'm equally sure I'd probably fall asleep with a glass of cheap whisky in my hand and miss the alert call...

Once you get your stills and video clips together combine them and you would have a nice, unique video to throw on YouTube right before Christmas that would probably attract some attention.

My apologies if someone has already suggested this; I'm continuing my bad habit of replying before reading all of the posts in the thread.

My compliments on a well-thought out and comprehensive original post.

Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
wellNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow