Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Daniel Lauring
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,480Gear list
Like?
Re: Initial impressions: Fuji X100s vs. Sony RX1
In reply to Graham Hill, 9 months ago

Graham Hill wrote:

Daniel Lauring wrote:

Firmware: It would be great if Sony could fix the flash with a firmware update, but their record of providing firmware updates is the opposite of Fuji. They are more inclined to fix things on the next release.

Simply not true. Sony NEX and Alpha cameras have had numerous firmware updates. 7 if their numbering sequences is fully accurate.

7 for which camera?  What percentage of Sony high end cameras have had firmware upgrades?  Why isn't there one for the RX1 yet?  How about the RX100?

My comment is historically accurate.  It goes way back to the days of buying laptops.  My Dell, Toshiba, IBM laptops all got multiple bios upgrades over their lifetimes.  Some to improve performance, some for fixes, some to add compatibility with new devices.  I owned two Sony laptops and neither got a single bios update, despite complaints and despite Sony releasing a follow-up laptop the next year that looked nearly identical with many of the fixes in it's bios that were asked for on the previous model.  That and my other Sony laptop experience swore me off Sony computers forever.  The battery died on my 3 week old Sony laptop and their reply was that batteries weren't covered under warranty.  I guess that is technically true and it makes sense for an expendable battery to not have the same warranty as the rest of the laptop, but no warranty at all!!!  They wanted me to buy a new battery for $200.  Luckily, after much cajoling, the store I bought it from replaced the battery themselves.  It was sad too, because Sony released some really dynamite hardware.

Daniel Lauring's gear list:Daniel Lauring's gear list
Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow