Once in a year opportunity : ) .... messed up. : (

Started Dec 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
GeorgianBay1939
Senior MemberPosts: 2,558Gear list
Like?
Re: Your other mistake was using Aperture Priority
In reply to Vlad S, Dec 1, 2013

Vlad S wrote:

If you are aiming to photograph a moving object it's far easier to set the shutter speed to freeze the motion, and let the camera figure out the ISO and aperture. I'd also set EC -1 to -2 to account for the dark scene/bright lights.

Yes. I have my other camera (GH2) set to S(hutter) priority and often use it that way when shooting wildlife with the 100-300 mm.

In this case I think it would be better to shoot (M)anual, setting the shutterspeed at 1/250th, wide open f/2.8, set the ISO at base. If I let the ISO float in Auto the metering system would have pushed it to the upper limit (which I generally set at ISO 800) with possible blowing of the coloured lights.

let the camera figure out the ISO and aperture.

How would have the metering system figured out a basically Black Scene with a bunch of specular highlights?   I don't think that it could.    You suggest EC of -1 or -2.  I think it is more than that, but I don't know.  And I suspect that letting the camera set ISO would result in clipping those coloured lights.

(one of these days I would like to learn the logic of the algorithm that controls AutoISO.  I might be tempted to use it more often then.  Currently I use ISO to control DR (and noise) in M(anual), RAW, ETTR.

iA could have worked, since it does evaluate shutter speed based on the movement in the frame.

Aha!  That is good information.  I have never used iA on that camera.   Maybe I should!!!

Vlad

GeorgianBay1939 wrote:Relevant Exif:

Exposure Mode: Auto exposure
Exposure Program: Aperture priority
Exposure Time: 1 / 6
FNumber: 5.3
Focal Length: 65
Focal Length In 35mm Film: 130
ISO Speed Ratings: 800
Metering Mode: Pattern
Saturation: Normal
Sharpness: Normal
White Balance: Auto white balanceLens Model: LUMIX G VARIO 14-140/F3.5-5.6

GeorgianBay1939's gear list:GeorgianBay1939's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
wellNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow