Once in a year opportunity : ) .... messed up. : (

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
GeorgianBay1939
Senior MemberPosts: 2,192Gear list
Like?
Re: Once in a year opportunity : ) .... messed up. : (
In reply to LincolnB, 8 months ago

LincolnB wrote:

Train shots at night pretty much require a tripod.

I would use a tripod to stop camera shake IF I WANTED SOME MOTION BLUR.

Otherwise I could shoot hand held at f/2.8, 1/250s.

Yes, a photo like yours, a beauty by the way, required a tripod to get that LOW EV (wide open down in the fractions of seconds) shot ... trees etc.

I suspect you had less light than you think.

Not really.  I had a lot MORE light in those coloured lights than I or the camera metering thought.  That is why the A(perture) priority system blew/clipped those coloured lights with that very long exposure.

For that extreme lighting situation no metering would help.  Specular lights in the black will always be blown by metered exposure, won't they.

If the train is providing the key light then you're going to have trouble picking up any shadow detail, as well.

Yes.  Agree.  But the only data I  really needed for the photograph was the exposure of the coloured lights and enough data to show the snow and the rail to provide context.  My camera doesn't have enough DR to capture both the coloured lights (without blowing them) AND the darkness of the train itself.

I think that I will have to do some practicing ... trying to emulate the quality of your photo above would be a good exercise for me.

Thanks for your comments.

t

GeorgianBay1939's gear list:GeorgianBay1939's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
wellNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow