Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ProfHankD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,839Gear list
Like?
Re: Another possible experiment
In reply to Anders W, 7 months ago

Anders W wrote:

ProfHankD wrote:

Anders W wrote: Well, I meant displacement of the entire camera rather than parts of it (as in your example below).

I understood you meant of the camera as a unit, but to me the difference between vibration and displacement is that one has a periodic component while the other doesn't. I haven't seen vibration due to play in the lens, just displacement -- which is why I mentioned it. Probably not the prime cause in the DPReview images -- more often a problem with cheap kit zooms -- but this could explain some of the anecdotal stories we're hearing.

How can you in practice, in the present context, distinguish between vibration inside the lens and displacement inside the lens as a cause of blur?

Two things:

1. As I said, I personally have not seen blur from play in a lens, but displacement from frame to frame. (Theoretically, if it were just vibration, then there shouldn't be any displacement from frame to frame.)
  2. The "another possible experiment" I suggested, that started this thread, would resolve at precisely what points in the exposure cycle displacements happen.

Of course, I don't know if the lenses DPReview tests with have any such issues. I don't see any way to be sure of the cause of the blur just by examining the DPReview comparison images.

ProfHankD's gear list:ProfHankD's gear list
Canon PowerShot A640 Canon PowerShot A720 IS Canon PowerShot S70 Canon PowerShot G1 Canon PowerShot G5 +19 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow