ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
fad
fad
Forum ProPosts: 12,273Gear list
Like?
The truth about Df autofocus
10 months ago

When reading the Df announcement I was immediately turned off by the 39 point AF system.

I shoot action street and I've come to rely on Auto-Area AF.

I shoot with the D4 and D800.

However, the Df does satisfy three actual needs -- a smaller body, quieter shutter sound, excellent low light shooting.   Unlike my D3s, which I never use now but keep as a backup for when my D4 might need repair, the Df is a camera I might actually use for night shooting with primes.

But I have not been able to find any description of how much I would be losing by the 39 point AF system as a whole.  Obviously the smaller coverage of the 39 point system will require adjustment.  But how much does the rest of the system, its speed and responsiveness, its ability to focus in dim light, the amount of contrast needed before it can find focus without hunting --all the important stuff that tends to get slighted because it cannot be easily measured, but which are obviously in repeated use.  How much weaker is the 39 point system than the 51 point one I am used to?

Especially if you have had extensive experience with both systems, how do they differ?  How hard is it to adjust from one to the other?

-- hide signature --

Frank
shot in downtown Manhattan.
http://sidewalkshadows.com/blog/ (street photos)
Always view all photos in Gallery or Original Size

fad's gear list:fad's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon D4s Nikon D810 +9 more
Nikon D3S Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon Df
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow