Once in a year opportunity : ) .... messed up. : (

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
GeorgianBay1939
Senior MemberPosts: 2,358Gear list
Like?
Re: Once in a year opportunity : ) .... messed up. : (
In reply to MPA1, 10 months ago

MPA1 wrote:

1) Not familiar with that particular camera but I assume it has CDAF not PDAF. A camera with PDAF or hybrid AF would probably have been a better tool in that situation.

Maybe.  I don't think that it was a focus issue but a blur/shake issue shooting at 1/6 second.

2) Personally I would have have shot it at a much faster shutter speed - at least 1/200. YMMV and obviously did! There is a lot of light from the bulbs but still nowhere near enough for reliable shooting at 1/6 of a fast moving object IMO.

ABSOLUTELY!   I worked out a EV of 11 giving f/2.8, 1/250 s that would work at base ISO (200).

3) Ring the rail company next year and ask them to tell you the date and approx time in advance. Set the camera up. This is one example of why manual drive controls rather than menu driven ones are better for this sort of thing - much quicker to change and much easier to do by muscle memory and feel! Use the fastest speed of shooting the camera will do in order to give you more frames to choose from. There is a reason sports cameras run at 11fps!

Yeah, I can get the schedule.  And, alas, I even might set up my tripod.  My photo friends will chuckle as I tend to pride myself on learning techniques without a 'pod.  Pride goeth before the fall !

The lesson that got rammed home to me on this one is to IGNORE the EXPOSURE METERING in these situations.  DECOUPLE IT FROM ISO.   USE MANUAL to set the EV  (exposure value).   Use ISO to control the read noise.

Thanks for your wise advice!

t

GeorgianBay1939's gear list:GeorgianBay1939's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
wellNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow