GeorgianBay1939
Senior MemberPosts: 2,028Gear list
Like?
Re: Once in a year opportunity : ) .... messed up. : (
In reply to Photomonkey, 7 months ago

Photomonkey wrote:

GeorgianBay1939 wrote:

Above pic: EV (f/5.3, 1/6 second) was around 7.5EV*

But I had lots of LIGHT (all those light bulbs), and could've shot at EV 11 ... which, with f/2.8, gets a 1/250 second shutter interval. (no need for a tripod when shooting FL 130mm (eq FOV) at that speed). I might drop that down a stop to 1/125s as a bit of train motion blur wouldn't be bad.

There is some clipping on the festival lights in addition to the loco headlights. Shooting at ISO 200 will stop that clipping (leaving the headlights blown/clipped), while giving me maximum DR, allowing me to pull that snow in the headlights as much as necessary in Lightroom.

If you are ISO 800 and are getting 1/6 of a second I am puzzled as to why you would go to ISO 200?

Because I will no longer using the AE meter to drive my Exposure Value. I will go from A(perture) priority, above to M(anual) Mode next year. That will allow me to set EV (f/, ss) independently.

Obviously the metering system is totally useless in this situation as it will try to average the exposure to output an average "lightness" of 19% gray. ..... leading to a HUGE OVER EXPOSURE, as it struggles to get all that black up.

In this situation I have to remind myself of what I am photographing .... the lights .... with a bit of context, the outline of the loco and some rail and snow. I don't need much EV for that, probably f2/8 at 1/250 will be enough. If not enough, I'll take one a stop down at (EV=10) and rotate the dial to 1/125th.

If you want to freeze the motion you need a high shutter speed of at least 1/125 sec most likely higher if the train was going like Hades as you say.

Right. See above para.

As for the clipping THAT is because the lights are overexposed as the camera computed an average exposure. You can eliminate clipping by just going to the higher shutter speed that will solve two problems; movement and clipping.

Right. Over-exposed (over-saturated by too high EV) and clipped by a ISOspeed that is too high.

Of course all you will see is the lights outlining the train and zero train detail but that is what I am hearing you saying.

Right. Any train detail will be opened up in LR... as long as I have enough DR (with low Read Noise).

IMO I would shoot at ISO 1600 or 3200.

I don't think with this camera (GX7) If Jack Hogan's preliminary figures are correct look at what happens to DR at ISO 1600 and especially at ISO 3200:

Jack Hogan's preliminary analysis of GX7 based on DxOmark Data.

The lights will be very properly exposed and will show no noise at a good high shutter speed.

I don't think noise would be an issue with the lights.

(I suspect that the use of ISO will reappear on this thread. So I should declare now that I believe that there is sufficient light there, in the coloured lights, to be captured at EV=11 (f/11, 1/250s) at base ISO (200) on this camera. Since I will want to push the snow as much in post processing I will use base ISO to maximize my DR. I am making a conscious decision to set exposure by EV and to set DR by ISO.

Your cameras will give excellent results at those ISOs and bringing home the image will be far more important than the chance of noise.

That is exactly why I want to improve the SNR by shooting at base ISO ... and using LR to open up the snow at minimum noise.... with this camera in any event.

In the end it is the rushing to not miss the shot that derailed you (pun intended) here. That is the bane of my existence when pressed by clients to hurry up and make the genius shot. It is then that I will overlook a setting or a light or a bit of background and then have to beat something to death in Photoshop.

FOR SURE! Armchair quarterbacking is great .... after the fact!!

As they say "mistakes give us experience and wisdom is the sum of a lot of mistakes."
I still like the idea of getting a friend further down the line.

Yeah, and sometimes it is a good idea to avoid mistakes.  As I used to say to my student (fighter) pilots:   Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.   Seems to relate to photographing rare situations, eh?

Yeah, I even have local friends on the CPR (Canadian Pacific Railway) who have radios. Maybe and excuse for a Christmas Train Party on the farm, eh?

Thanks for your comments.

t

GeorgianBay1939's gear list:GeorgianBay1939's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
wellNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow