Once in a year opportunity : ) .... messed up. : (

Started Dec 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
GeorgianBay1939
Senior MemberPosts: 2,558Gear list
Like?
Re: Once in a year opportunity : ) .... messed up. : (
In reply to cheddargav, Dec 1, 2013

cheddargav wrote:

Funny because my first reaction was "your lens was never gonna be up to the job and your shutter speed was too slow".

As for the ISO, had you dropped it to 200 your shutter speed would've been even slower. Even with your f2.8 lens you'd have needed to bump the ISO up in that darkness, then you'd have had to have a demon panning technique nailed down OR hoped to be able to get your shutter speed up to maybe 1/200.

Still, it's all good learning!

-- hide signature --

www.twitter.com/gavphotography

But I am photographing the pattern of the lights, and maybe a bit of illuminated snow and rails.

Shooting in M(anual) Mode would have solved all of the issues in your second paragraph.

I would have shot at f2/8, 1/250 resulting in a significant underexposure of the scene as calculated BY THE METERING SYSTEM. So I'd ignore the metering system, shoot a short interval to grab those very bright coloured lights and at base ISO to avoid clipping the lights and to give me enough DR to push the snow illuminated by the lights.

I have been shooting AE for too long and have become too dependent on my metering in all modes.

This is a classic case where I need to shoot M(anual) to decouple the AE system. And to use ISO maximize DR (instead of driving Exposure Value)

I had forgotten that ALL that I want to capture are the coloured light display and a bit of context, the snow around the front of the train.

Still, it's all good learning!

Yes, for sure!!!

Tom

GeorgianBay1939's gear list:GeorgianBay1939's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
wellNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow