Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Photomonkey
Senior MemberPosts: 1,381Gear list
Like?
Re: Once in a year opportunity : ) .... messed up. : (
In reply to GeorgianBay1939, 9 months ago

GeorgianBay1939 wrote:

Above pic: EV (f/5.3, 1/6 second) was around 7.5EV*

But I had lots of LIGHT (all those light bulbs), and could've shot at EV 11 ... which, with f/2.8, gets a 1/250 second shutter interval. (no need for a tripod when shooting FL 130mm (eq FOV) at that speed). I might drop that down a stop to 1/125s as a bit of train motion blur wouldn't be bad.

There is some clipping on the festival lights in addition to the loco headlights. Shooting at ISO 200 will stop that clipping (leaving the headlights blown/clipped), while giving me maximum DR, allowing me to pull that snow in the headlights as much as necessary in Lightroom.

If you are ISO 800 and are getting 1/6 of a second I am puzzled as to why you would go to ISO 200?
If you want to freeze the motion you need a high shutter speed of at least 1/125 sec most likely higher if the train was going like Hades as you say.
As for the clipping THAT is because the lights are overexposed as the camera computed an average exposure. You can eliminate clipping by just going to the higher shutter speed that will solve two problems; movement and clipping. Of course all you will see is the lights outlining the train and zero train detail but that is what I am hearing you saying. IMO I would shoot at ISO 1600 or 3200. The lights will be very properly exposed and will show no noise at a good high shutter speed.Your cameras will give excellent results at those ISOs and bringing home the image will be far more important than the chance of noise.

In the end it is the rushing to not miss the shot that derailed you (pun intended) here. That is the bane of my existence when pressed by clients to hurry up and make the genius shot. It is then that I will overlook a setting or a light or a bit of background and then have to beat something to death in Photoshop.
As they say "mistakes give us experience and wisdom is the sum of a lot of mistakes."
I still like the idea of getting a friend further down the line.

Photomonkey's gear list:Photomonkey's gear list
Kodak Pixpro S-1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
wellNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow