I dont understand this voting system

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
merops
Senior MemberPosts: 1,073
Like?
Re: Why a simple average is bad...
In reply to Xs Vyper, 9 months ago

Xs Vyper wrote:

Not in particular to my dog entry but its a good case anyway, just noticing that so many equally decent entries in different challenges that are ranking lower and so many mediocre/terrible entries ranking better....more like a pattern for every challenge.

I enjoy a real competition/challenge, its not about winning (in photography anyway), its more of a good feeling how's your photograph stack up with the other photos. It's more of a motivation factor, maybe a better subject, maybe a better composition,, maybe a better lighting, maybe a better gear..next time...IMO, it moves a photographer to do better.

You also brought up the half star point(I didnt even notice that on my dog entry), which according to DP means "Poor image that doesn't fit theme or rules", one vote of half star could be just a misguided vote but four? Looks to me a clear example of sabotage.

Nope, not joining any challenge from now on

Just for the record...i have no clue who voted 5 star for my entry

I just wanted to say that hosts vary enormously in quality - they are volunteers: some are diligent and otherscouldn't care less; some can diplomatically manage a challenge in such a way that the competition is reasonably fair. Keep you eyes open and you will notice who are the good hosts, and who not.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow