On Sharpness, ISO and Shutter Speed

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ProfHankD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,808Gear list
Like?
Another possible experiment
In reply to Jack Hogan, 7 months ago

Jack Hogan wrote:

2) Are the dips we see in MTF50 around 1/10th of a second to about 1/300th possibly due to shutter shock - or something else? What implications does this have for people choosing a high resolution camera today?

I'd guess that vibration is a factor here, and imprecision in electronic 1st curtain reset may be the cause of the other issue, but here's a possible experiment to try to resolve this....

In either a focal plane shutter or a not-really-simultaneous-global-electronic shutter, the sensor exposure interval is not really the same for all pixels. Some are exposed earlier and others later, with the overlap fraction dependent on shutter speed. Thus, it should be possible to profile the vibration/movement over time by using multiple targets positioned so that they are exposed in temporal sequence as the shutter travels across the frame. Shutter shock should be an impulse with periodic decay of the vibration over time, which I would expect to cause a measurable pattern in the MTF50 measurements along the shutter's travel direction.... The same test method could also be used to test external damping methods; for example, I'd actually expect human hands to do better damping than a tripod (us humans are after all a type of fluid damping system, right?   ).

A more precise test could be made using controlled light pulses, but that's not as easy to do....

ProfHankD's gear list:ProfHankD's gear list
Canon PowerShot A640 Canon PowerShot A720 IS Canon PowerShot S70 Canon PowerShot G1 Canon PowerShot G5 +19 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow