Junior MemberPosts: 47
Like?
Re: Why a simple average is bad...
In reply to billythek, Dec 1, 2013

billythek wrote:

Xs Vyper wrote:

Joe Pineapples wrote:

Xs Vyper wrote:

Yeah saw that voting tip before but wouldnt it be better if DP uses statistical mean instead of average? I think its more representative of the real score.

With relatively few votes per entry, you have very little confidence in the average ranking. For example, if photo 'A' has one vote of 5 stars, but photo 'B' has nine votes of 5 stars and one vote of 4 stars, 'A' ranks higher than 'B' on a simple average.

Perhaps you could elaborate on what you mean by "statistical mean" vs. "average". "Mean" can have different meanings (no pun intended), but generally the mean is the arithmetic average of a set of values...

Joe

Yeah that's exactly what i'm noticing on the effect of votes to the ranking of pics, a few low votes can effectively pull down a good contender from the race. One or a group can simply low vote any decent looking competition out of the challenge.

I guess you are referring to your Dog challenge picture. Not sure why you got 4 half-star votes. Your picture clearly met the requirements of the challenge. It wasn't a great picture, but not terrible, either. The other outlier was the one five-star vote. Perhaps the half-star votes were in response to that.

That brings up the question, who can see voting results before voting ends? I've seen it implied that challenge hosts can. Are there others?

-- hide signature --

- Bill

Not in particular to my dog entry but its a good case anyway, just noticing that so many equally decent entries in different challenges that are ranking lower and so many mediocre/terrible entries ranking better....more like a pattern for every challenge.

I enjoy a real competition/challenge, its not about winning (in photography anyway), its more of a good feeling how's your photograph stack up with the other photos. It's more of a motivation factor, maybe a better subject, maybe a better composition,, maybe a better lighting, maybe a better gear..next time...IMO, it moves a photographer to do better.

You also brought up the half star point(I didnt even notice that on my dog entry), which according to DP means "Poor image that doesn't fit theme or rules", one vote of half star could be just a misguided vote but four? Looks to me a clear example of sabotage.

Nope, not joining any challenge from now on

Just for the record...i have no clue who voted 5 star for my entry

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow